This is a two book set that includes both the student textbook and the Solutions and Test Manual.
This course is designed to be the last science course the student takes before high school biology. Thus, we generally recommend it as an 8th grade course. However, your student can also use it for their 9th grade course work. The text discusses such topics as the atmosphere, the hydrosphere, weather, the structure of the earth, environmentalism, the physics of motion, Newton’s Laws, gravity, and astrophysics. The author especially concentrates on the myths generated by the hysterical environmentalist movement. There are many hands-on experiments to do, and they all use household chemicals and supplies. It is an excellent course for preparing the student to take a college-prep high school science curriculum.
The second edition of our physical science course has several features that enhance the value of the course:
- There is more color in this edition as compared to the previous edition, and many of the drawings that are in the first edition have been replaced by higher-quality drawings.
- There are more experiments in this edition than there were in the previous one. In addition, some of the experiments that were in the previous edition have been changed to make them even more interesting and easy to perform.
- Advanced students who have the time and the ability for additional learning are directed to online resources that give them access to advanced subject matter.
- To aid the student in reviewing the course as a whole, there is an appendix that contains questions which cover the entire course. The solutions and tests manual has the answers to those questions.
- Dr. Wile has been answering student questions on each of these course for seven years or more. Those questions have allowed him to realize what sections of the books could be written more clearly. Thus, these editions of our courses are even more understandable than the first editions!
- The student text has graphic icons that tell the student when there is a related multimedia presentation on the optional multimedia CD.
- There are course websites that have links to materials which provide extra help as well as interesting news related to each field.
- There are cumulative tests in the solutions and tests guide if the parent/teacher wants to give the student quarterly, semester, or final exams.
- The tests in the solutions and tests guide contain a point system that aids the parent/ teacher in grading the them.
- Finally, even though the module tests are found in the solutions and tests manual (so that the parent/teacher always has a copy of them), a second set of tests is also provided in a perforated booklet. This will allow the student to be given the tests without referring to the solutions and tests manual.
Because of the differences between the first and second editions, students in a group setting cannot use both. They must all have the same edition.
Format: 2 volume set. The first book, hardbound, is the student text, which contains all student material, 'on your own' questions and solutions, laboratory exercises, and module study guides. Color photos and illustrations. The second book, softbound, is the solutions and tests manual, which contains answers to module study guides, tests, and test solutions. Shrink-wrapped with the solutions and tests manual is a booklet containing an extra set of tests. B&W.